Many people have ideas. Ideas on how they can make money. Ideas on how to improve a certain process to get better results. But sadly, it is difficult for them to transform their thinking (ideas) into action, which action is the only source of results. The rule stands:
ACTION TRUMPS RESULTS.
For you to see result you need to take action. But people fear taking action, they fear the unknown, they fear failure.
Well, if you live in fear you will not achieve any of those brilliant goals you have and you will not see your business ideas becoming a reality.
So how do you take action to see results in the midst of uncertainty or unknown or under a dark cloud of fear? Take action!
You take action by making a smart step forward with the means at hand and see the results.
Imagine you are in a forest and you suddenly fall into a deep hole. You go down for a good minute and land way down at the bottom of the hole. Of course, fear will cease you by the throat, but if you allow it to control you, it will be very difficult to escape and you may actually die there. What do you do, then?
- You think, “I need to get out now, oh my gosh, where am I” [Thinking].
- You check out if you have network bars on your phone so that you can call for help [Means at hand].
- Your switch on the torch light on your phone and try to make your way out [Means at hand].
Now, what if your phone battery is flat?
- You take the first step [Action] and evaluate whether you are on dry or wet ground, you check with your hands to try and get to know the landscape you are in [Thinking and Action].
- With results from that, you take the next action.
- And, along the way you evaluate if you are by any chance progressing towards escape [Thinking].
This illustration basically applies when starting a business. Think of a business idea or you have a business problem to solve, act on it, see the results, evaluate (think) and act again until you reach your desired goal.
Some people don’t just take action because they fear failure. When your idea fails, that’s not the end of the world! Entrepreneurs see failure as a learning point. You evaluate the results and see what went wrong and make plans to address the gaps. Sometimes it is the idea itself that cannot be viable or you had not considered certain market factors. Sometimes through failure you develop another business idea from the initial and pivot into something different. Think about it, if you had not taken action on the first idea, would you have been able to find this next idea?
So when you think of an idea, take action and see the results, and then take further action. Action trumps everything. Just start!